Friday, November 20, 2009

Gone are the good days

Music-wise. Not my personal life.

Well I was listening to Hitz.fm the other day, and it was airing the top 10 in the weekly top 40. Great, I thought to myself, since I had not been listening to the radio for... well, a few months then. I must have missed out on a lot of great new songs.

But I stand corrected. The number 10 song was the one that goes "I make them good girls go bad" or something like that which I didn't like. Weird. Number 10? And it didn't get any better from there. Number 9, 8, 7 and 6 were all equally unbearable. The songs were all overloaded with annoying electronic sounds, heavy drum beats and suggestive lyrics. The only song that I like was 21 Guns.

I then realised that those kind of songs are abundance in the airwaves nowadays. More youths now favour Sean Kingston and Black Eyed Peas rather than James Morrison or John Mayer. But I don't find it cool to sing so fast and with so much slang no one can actually catch what you say. And using euphemism to sing about sexual desires (London Bridge, anyone?) cannot be considered as lyrical genius. Come on, we all know half of the hits send prurient messages.

Now I'm not one of those person whose playlist comprises of tunes from Frank Sinatra and Celine Dion. Or one who listens to Bach everyday. I do enjoy tunes from Mika and Good Charlotte. And Westlife (probably shouldn't mention that). I just think good music are supposed to evoke emotion. Joy, longing, or sometimes even anger (and no, lust doesn't count). And good music sticks in your mind, preferably more than just a few weeks - which is the lifespan of most hit songs (thumbs up for anyone who can remember the words to Smack That).

If anyone wants a respite from songs that belong to the dance floor or are overplayed in the radio, try listening to Kenny Rogers (Lady is the best), Eric Clapton (Tears in Heaven), Richard Marx, or Josh Groban. Or my favourite band Keane (Somewhere Only We Know). I would recommend The Beatles but probably everybody has already heard their songs.

But I guess to each his own. Well, I'm off to listen to Canon.

6 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should try listening to instrumentals for a change?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Any recommendation? I listen to instrumentals quite a lot actually. Just not the classicals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, let's see. Usually the best instrumental scores come from movies like Lord of The Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, The Last Samurai, etc. Are you familiar with the likes of Hans Zimmer and Harry-Gregson Williams? I particularly like the Gladiator score by Hans Zimmer. The score has that certain emotion to move you.

    And if you are an anime fan, there are plenty of beautiful instrumentals that's actually therapeutic. I would recommend Yuki Kajiura. She's my all time favourite composer. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much [your name]! I never really look at the name of the composer when looking for instrumental songs. I've only realised I have some Hans Zimmer songs in my collection (Black Hawk Down, Lion King). I'm currently looking for more. I really appreciate your suggestions.

    The only anime that I looked for the songs is Tsubasa Chronicles. I'm not sure about the composer(s) but there are some great instrumentals. I'll search for Yuki Kajiura soon (life is hectic at the moment).

    Sorry for the late feedback. And thanks again [your name] ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Edit: I've found out that those instrumentals from Tsubasa Chronicles are actually Yuki Kajiura's! How ignorant can I be??

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Random VisitorFebruary 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM

    Try Kenji Kawai!

    ReplyDelete