Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jeffrey Archer


Imagine this. You went back to college. Took the flight, therefore your luggage must be minimum. Brought one half-read book to read since the bag is already crammed with textbooks and underpants. To your surprise, the book is finished in four days. Your other books will only arrive on the weekend. Sounds like a crisis?

It was one to me. Fortunately my housemate had a book to lend - The Prodigal Daughter by Jeffrey Archer. Jeffrey Archer is one of those names alongside John Grisham and Sophie Kinsella (just to name a few) that keep popping out from the book store's shelves, but I never even consider buying. I steer clear of chick-lit (which explains Kinsella) and politics turn me off. The Prodigal Daughter is laden with issues of American politics and the system, which I'm embarrassed to admit still eludes my understanding (Democrats? Republicans? What's the difference? And what's a Senate?). Still, I must say it is one of the best books I've ever read. Truly. And because I like it so much, the same housemate then brought A Prisoner of Birth, also by Jeffrey Archer. Another one goes into my Best Books Ever Read list, even when I'm still reading. And I am now a huge Jeffrey Archer fan.

I don't consider myself a book critic. A self-profess book junkie is more accurate (though my archive is not very big). My english is hardly good enough for me to comment on the language, but I like the fact that reading those two particular books didn't require the assistance of the dictionary every five pages or so (like Jane Eyre).The plot moves at a fast enough pace, not too slow like Lord of the Rings (especially the Return of the King). The protagonist - be it the intelligent daughter who wants to be the President or the young father trying to clear his name from a crime he did not commit - has a certain draw that makes you cheer him/her on to win. However, the ultimate page-turning factor has got to be the twists and turns in the plot (and there are numerous). I find it hard to put the books down and I have to restrain myself from exclaiming "What??" or "Yes!" when I'm reading in class. I even almost did a celebratory dance when one of the court battles resulted in a victory for the good guys. My housemate warned me that the final courtroom battle will cause some involuntary shrieks and exclamations. I better not read that in class.

If you haven't yet read one of his books, go and buy one. Don't borrow, because you will want to read it again.

I'm now off to find out what Danny plans for Gerald Payne.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Words from the heart. Enjoy reading them. Keep it coming sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sixth collection of engrossing 15 short stories from Sir Jeffrey Archer is inspired by people and situations from all around the world. The fact that Sir Jeffrey Archer needed some time on his own to work on the book “And Thereby Hangs a Tail” was accepted happily by his readers (read me). His latest book "And Thereby Hangs A Tale" is available at huge discount at http://www.uread.com/book/and-thereby-hangs-tale-jeffrey/9780330513685

    ReplyDelete